Toronto Groups Perform Multicultural Music and Dance Program
February 5, 2012
TORONTO – Bringing the local community together to celebrate the Year of the Dragon, Trinity-Spadina MP Olivia Chow hosted an afternoon filled with fascinating performances at the Cecil Street Comunity Centre. The time-honoured building off Spadina Avenue, itself a witness to Toronto’s diverse past as a former church and synagogue, was filled with more than 300 spectators.
Close to sixty performers showcased their talents in fields as diverse as classical Chinese singing, Latin dance and contemporary musical, reflecting the broad spectrum of cultural activity in the downtown community. Their background ranged from professional to amateur, from children to senior citizens.
In addition to excellent solo performers, the multi-faceted show was the work of ten community organizations and their commitment. An outstanding contribution was also made through the uncountable hours of work by roughly thirty volunteers.
Special thanks go to our volunteers and the following local institutions:
- Cecil Community Services Centre
- The Cross-Cultural Community Services Association(TCCCSA)
- Scadding Court Community Centre
- University Settlement House
- Chao Chao Association of Ontario Canada
- St. Stephen Community House
- Multi-Culture & Folk Arts Association of Canada
- Toronto Tian Sui Chorus
- Toronto Cultural Community Services Centre (TCCSC)
- Dr. Lin Wang’s Optometrist Office
- Chinese Dance Workshop Folk Dance Group